Initiatives, Outreach & Education and Our Customers
Through the support of the Jorgensen Family Foundation, Hedgeapple Farm is actively involved in the following areas of research and education:
- The genetic selection and breeding of Angus cattle that consistently produce high-quality beef on an all-forage diet (grass-fed and grass-finished)
- Extending the animal grazing season using new and emerging forage varieties such as warm season grasses and legumes
- Reducing our farm's impact on the surrounding ecosystem including the critical watersheds leading to the Chesapeake Bay
- Ensuring optimal health management and the best animal care possible
- Producing high-quality beef that is consistently tender and tasty without the se of added hormones, implants, or feed antibiotics
- Developing and marketing value-added beef cuts that improve producer profitability and meet changing consumer needs and desires
- Providing superior customer service and care by helping consumers select and prepare our beef for an outstanding eating experience
- Sharing our experience and expertise with fellow farmers, thought leaders, governmental agencies, and others interested in sustainable farming
Our story would not be complete without explaining our commitment to helping fellow farmers and even future farmers become more skilled, more profitable, and more sustainable agricultural producers. Just like you, we want to see farms remain farms and help farmers continue to grow and market high-quality food for local consmers.
To that end, we share every bit of information we gather on topics related to animal care, nutrition, breeding, management, pasture production, grazing management, meat quality, marketing and economics. We host field days and tours for fellow farmers throughout the region and we provide expertise through speaking opportunities and the publishing of "white papers" in support of our education initiatives.
Our education efforts do not end with other farmers. Hedgeapple Farm has been a popular choice for hosting a variety of tours, workshops and other educational events for area dieticians, human nutritionists, chefs, culinary students, and other educators and thought-leaders interested in understanding how beef gets from pasture to plate. We have hosted workshops in partnership with the National Cattemen's Beef Council, Howard and Frederick Community Colleges, USDA, and the Maryland Department of Agriculture.
Our Customers - Our Partners
All of Hedgeapple's education efforts are funded completely through the foundation. Most of our programs are offered without cost to the end-user.
When you shop for your beef at the on-farm market, you are more than a customer; you're a vital partner in all of our education and outreach efforts!
Every dollar you spend with us goes directly back into our foundation to support our farm model and to further our outreach mission. We are grateful for your business and your partnership! We invite you to stop by the farm, learn more about what we do, meet our staff and take home some great-tasting nutritious, grass-fed and finished beef!